Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Elder Horrocks will be serving in the Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Is that a mermaid in your swimming pool?



Hi everyone!

Well, it's been a week since the transfers and it's been a lot of fun so far. I know you mostly want to know about where I'm at and who I'm with so I'll start there. :)

My area is called Costa de Oro which means Coast of Gold or Golden Coast. However, I don't know if that's true because I've only seen a very small bit of the beach around here. To be brief, let's just say I'm in probably the wealthiest part of the mission right now. A lot of the neighborhoods around here are nothing but mansions and I'm talking "holy crap I'm gonna get lost in here!" mansions. My second day here, my companion told me that mini coopers come in the cereal boxes around here because they're everywhere. Most of the area is actually businesses. We actually have a Walmart and the Costco in my area. Unfortunately, Costco is banned so I won't be going there. This area is very different than from what I'm used to after Carlos A. Carrillo. I went from small farm town to big city. It's cool though.

Our apartment is pretty small though. It's only a little bigger than my first house in the mission and that's only because it has a kitchen area. Overall, it's nice though. There's no cockroaches and it's fairly clean. (Although we do have a little line of ants marching from the window to the trash can.) It's nice that it doesn't get too hot during the day because it's a ground floor apartment. Plus, the weather is slightly less hot over here being so close to the coast.

My companion and I are getting along really well. His name is Elder Cárdenas and he's a hoot. He's four or five inches taller than me and is from Monterrey, Mexico. He's actually got a six weeks less than me in the mission, but he's been in the field longer due to my time in the MTC. My district is interesting in the fact that it's just us and three sister missionaries in the neighboring area. I bet our district meeting tomorrow will bit just a little different because of that.

The area has been a little slow this week when it comes to the work. Because the people are so well off financially there aren't many who want to listen to us. However, the branch members (yes, it's only a branch of about 60 members) are really cool and willing to work with us. I feel that if we work closely with them we'll be able to find the people who are prepared for the Gospel.

As a side note, it's also a fairly large area so we've done a lot of walking. :P

That's about all the news I got so I'll get to answering your e-mails.

Mom -  The internet cafe we use does have better computers, but today all of them are taken. It's not too big of a deal anyways because I haven't taken any pictures yet. I'll be sure to take some this week though and send them all to you. :) I love you tons mom! Don't worry, only a little bit more than a year left! You'll be hugging my guts out before you know it. :) I love you Mom. :)

Dad - It's funny that you mentioned the temperature. You say it's in the high 80's outside? My companion has a clock with a thermometer and it says it's about 87 degrees inside the house over here. Outside I'm sure it's a bit higher. Let's just say I've gotten used to sweating... all the time. It's all part of the experience though. It's fun. :) I'm glad Grandpa's birthday turned out good. I wish I could've been there, but there's always next year right? Um... and the year after? I think we actually had the same lessons in church as the one you taught. I sure would've liked to have heard it. The temples really are tremendous blessings. I sure hope you and Mom are taking advantage of all the nearby temples. Can't wait to hear more news from home! I love you Dad!

I want to share my testimony of this Gospel. I know that Christ lives and that He atoned for the sins of all mankind. I also know that He truly was resurrected and visited the Americas. I know that we are members of the true church of God restored to the earth. I promise you that there are blessings to be received for each commandment that we keep. Remember, with sacrifice comes blessings. I haven't asked or heard about how you're doing with reading the Book of Mormon. I hope that you're still persevering with that. I testify that we receive the Spirit of the Lord more abundantly in our lives when we read the scriptures. I pray you'll take the opportunity to receive these blessings in your lives.

I love you all and hope everythings going well over there. Remember that it's through the Gospel that we find true happiness. :)

With all my love,
Elder Sean Horrocks

P.S. In case you're wondering about the title of my e-mail. Yeah, there's a member here with a swimming pool that has a picture of a mermaid at the bottom of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment