Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Elder Horrocks will be serving in the Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Monday, May 27, 2013

I'm gonna explode!



Hey there everybody,

Another week has gone by and I'm pretty used to my new area now. I still get lost all the time, but that's why I have a companion. This week has been very slow when it comes to the Lord's work. We are receiving almost no references which makes it pretty hard to find new people. We've been trying to think of other ways to ask for references and get the members excited about the missionary work. We're going to try to put them into practice this coming week. We're also brainstorming more ideas for better ways to contact people. We're going to try talking more about the importance of family and look for more opportunities for service. I think we'll be able to find more people this way, but I guess we'll never know until we try! I let you guys know how that goes next week.

This Sunday I had the opportunity to give a short talk during sacrament. I chose to talk about the Atonement because it's one of my favorite subjects to study. I fumbled here and there with my Spanish, but I think I did well overall. At least half the congregation seemed attentive and I know at least one sister was taking notes, so it couldn't have been that bad.... I hope. :P

Other than all that, it's business as usual. The members feed us a ton over here. I'm usually so full that I don't eat any dinner at night. Walking around the rest of the day is tough with a stomach full to bursting. Another downside is that it makes me really sleepy. The good news is that I won't ever go hungry over here. :)

There's not much else to report lately. My companion and I are still getting along well. No problems there. I do have a slight infection in my throat right now which is a bummer. I'm taking some antibiotics for that. Oh, and I've thought of something you can send in my next package. A new white shirt would be nice. I was eating a hielito (basically a Mexican otter pop) and I accidentally ended up with red juice all down my shirt. Basically, unless I can discover some magic mexican stain remover I won't be able to use that shirt. Oops. :P

It's sounds like everyone's having a decent time back home.

Mom - I'm pretty jealous that you guys get to eat so many different kinds of food. Mexican food is good and all, but sometimes it destroys my digestive system. Plus, eating the same kind of stuff for nearly a year kinda makes me a little tired of it. Oh well, only a little more than 13 months to go! I like what you wrote me about obedience. It really is one of the most important things we can do. If we are obedient we are doing what the Lord expects of us. It's something we all have to work on. There's always room for improvement. I'm also really glad that you're enjoying your work. If you enjoy what you do than it's not that much work is it? I always love hearing from you Mom. Have a great week! Love you!

Dad - I mentioned what we've been doing lately. The branch members are generally very nice. There are a ton of stores is this area. We've got a bunch of supermarkets and stuff really close by along with various fast food restaurants. Like I said we get fed a lot so I don't really buy too much. Just some sandwich stuff and cereal for the mornings. Even if I'm not too hungry I try to eat something for breakfast. I personally haven't done any cooking, but that's mostly because we only have a tiny little electric stove. It's been so hot lately that I'm fine with cold stuff anyways. I'm glad that you guys are always taking the time to do things as a family. That's the kind of stuff I miss the most out here. A lot of the time, the simplest things make the best memories. :) I always appreciate your e-mails, Dad. Keep letting me know what's going on at home. I love and miss you!

I know that this church is true. I know that if we stay true to the Lord, He will help us through all our difficulties. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. Only through Him can we stand guiltless before God.

I love you all and wish you nothing but the best! Have an amazing week!

Love,
Elder Sean Horrocks


No comments:

Post a Comment