Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Elder Horrocks will be serving in the Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Thursday, February 7, 2013

And so begins February



Hello again my beloved family,

As always I'm really glad for the opportunity to hear from you and write you all.

This week wasn't really too eventful. The things that make a week eventful are baptisms and/or crazy mishaps. Fortunately, we didn't have any crazy mishaps, but unfortunately, we didn't have a baptism either. It's okay though because we've got two or three really promising investigators lined up to be baptized in the next couple weeks. :) Yesterday, we had a meeting for all the district leaders in Tuxtepec. That's an hour long bus ride and only the district leaders participate in the meeting. I used the time to fill in some pages of that Mission Memories journal. It was actually really nice to reflect a little on my mission so far. We ended up staying later than the buses go so we had to catch a ride back to our area with a leader from our ward that was there for another meeting. We didn't get to bed until an hour past our bedtime so I'm just a liiiiittle sleepy right now. Today's been nice though because for once we don't have some huge project to take care of. We just washed our clothes, cleaned the house a bit and went shopping for our food. We've spent a lot of time working with our Area Book. That's the book where previous elders leave information about past investigators and inactive members. We've been searching for a lot of inactives and we had some luck this week. We had three or four different inactives attend church. It was pretty much awesome. :) This next week we'll be looking for old investigators to see if they would be interested in investigating the Gospel again. Should be cool!

I only got a few questions from Mom this week so this e-mail might be a little bit shorter. I still like my area a lot. I like the fact that it's more rural and the members are awesome. In my previous area the members didn't help us too much, but here they help out a ton. We get a lot of members attending lessons with us which is a huge help. Yes, the transfers are every six weeks. The next one should be about the 19th of February. We're starting the 5th week right now, so in two weeks we should see some sort of change. In other news, I'm getting along better with my companion. We didn't have any problems per say, but we weren't super unified either. I made an effort to be more patient with E. Wheeler and to look for his good qualities. It really paid off. I was less stressed and we were more unified as a companionship. Just goes to show, patience is a virtue. :)

Yesterday being fast Sunday, I want to bear my testimony on the fast. I know that when we fast we receive blessings and more strength to withstand our individual temptations. I know that as a family we never really fasted, but I hope that you will all take the opportunity to do so. With all these health problems in the family lately, I know it will help. If we are willing to show our faith by fasting, the Lord will be more willing to help us with the challenges we are facing. Fasting really helps me personally with my temptations. If we can deny our bodies the very things we need to survive, it becomes much easier to deny our natural man. I bear testimony that fasting can help to draw closer to our Heavenly Father. Maybe you missed the opportunity to fast yesterday, but that shouldn't stop you. If you feel the need to fast for a special need. Do it! I promise you the Lord will bless you for it.

I know this church is true. I know that we have a living prophet and apostles today that guide the Church of Christ. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. If we study it daily and live true to it's principles, we will have the strength needed to endure to the end. I know that Christ lives and knows each and every one of us. If you are struggling with something right now, make an effort to come unto Christ. He knows how to help. He only waits for you to ask.

I love you all and look forward to the day when I can see you all again. Make it an amazing week! Remember time isn't had, time is made. If it's important to you, make time to do it!

Love you with all my heart,
Elder Sean Horrocks

1 comment:

  1. I love his message about fasting. It's clear to me that when we sacrifice to fast for our specific needs, He sees our sacrifices and our efforts to do our part, and will bless us. Fasting is so hard....that is why it is the sacrifice that he rewards. It's worth it in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete