Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Elder Horrocks will be serving in the Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

It's all about the members


Hey everybody!

This letter may or may not be slightly boring for you guys because this week really wasn´t all that eventful. We went on splits and had do to interviews for other missonaries´ baptisms, but that´s about it. I´ll go into a little more detail with those I guess. Oh, we also had a zone conference where we heard from 2 members of the seventy. We heard from Elder Alonzo and Elder Ortíz. Elder Alonzo spoke about how we can improve our missionary work and Elder Ortíz spoke about the importance of remaining missionaries after we return home. Both very good talks. After the conference we started the splits. I went to Tlacojalpan, the only other area in my district with an Elder Espinoza (what a coincidence huh?). He was really cool and we had a good conversation at the end of the day. We also met with his investigators that got baptized this Saturday. Those were the people that we ended up interviewing right before their baptismal service. However, by "we" I really mean Elder Wheeler because only the district leaders conduct the baptismal interviews. It took about 2 and a half hours because it was a family of five being baptized and they all needed individual interviews. It was cool though because I took the time to play the piano in the chapel we were in. It was really nice to play again to say the least. I forgot to mention: one cool thing about the splits was that we had to cross the river Papaloapan. We crossed it in a big barge type thing. It was big enough to fit about  8 cars on it plus plenty of room for people on foot. It was pretty neat and I took some pictures. Saturday night we also had a ward activity that was kind of like Minute to Win It games. That was pretty fun too. I  think the members had a good time, but unfortunately we only had two non-members there. It was a bit of a bummer considering that the purpose of the activity was to invite non-members. Oh well, whatcha gonna do? I also got to practice more piano on Sunday. I played during the sacrament meeting, but only with the right hand. I didn´t have enough practice to play with both, but it turned out okay. I´ll probably be playing consistently during the meetings while I´m here. At one point we were waiting to talk to the bishop so I started practicing sight reading the hymns with both hands. I actually surprised myself by doing better than I expected. I think that with some more practice I´ll be able to play most of the hymns. Neat!

Now... after that huge block of a paragraph... I´ll answer the few questions I received from Dad.
Things with my companion are better. I´ve been a bit more patient with his quirks and they don´t bug me as much anymore. I´m trying to judge people less because I know I´m not perfect either. I´m still not entirely sure how he is as a missionary because we have been doing more things with the members than teaching investigators. Anyways... the new house is pretty nice but this week was a little rough. The house in on the second floor and it has plenty of windows. The only problem is that these windows have nothing but bug screens... and we had another Norte. It got pretty chilly with the wind blowing through. I had to sleep with extra blankets for once. :P Other than that there´s no problems. It´s a lot cleaner and there are no bugs. We do have one little lizard that we´ve been trying to catch, but no such luck. Maybe we´ll get him this week. Speaking of lizards.... the sister that lives below us showed us what she was going to be cooking for her dinner tonight. An iguana. It was pretty darn big too. It was still alive and everything but it´s legs were all tied up. We took a couple pictures with it. Who knows, maybe she´ll invite us to try some of it. :P
As far as seeing the sights goes, we haven´t done to much of that... mostly because there´s not too much to see. It´s mostly sugarcane fields around here. It´s pretty nice though because it´s a bit calmer than the city and a bit more like home. :) Overall, I really like the area and the ward, but I sure hope we find some people to teach and baptize soon.

I want to bear my testimony that this church is absolutely true. The Book of Mormon is proof that God loves us and speaks to us. I know that we have a living prophet who guides this church. I know that true happiness in this life only comes through living the gospel. I urge you to stop and take a look at your life for a moment. If there is a commandment you are not living fully or a church calling that you are not magnifying, take the time to do it. By keeping the commandments and helping others to do the same, we receive countless blessings from our Heavenly Father. I also want to stress the importance of daily prayer and scripture study. These are the ways that we communicate personally with our Heavenly Father. If we aren't doing these things then we are shutting the door to personal revelation. The amazing thing about the gospel is that it's never too late to improve or start anew. That's why we have repentance. I know that Christ is the Savior of the world and that through Him we can receive a remission of all our sins. Once again, the church is true!

I love you all and hope all is well with you. I can't wait to return and spend time with you all. Stay strong in the Gospel!

Love,
Elder Sean Horrocks

No comments:

Post a Comment