Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Elder Horrocks will be serving in the Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tuxtapec, Here I come!


Hey family!

I'll get straight into the information you all want to know. I'm having transfers this Tuesday (tomorrow) and I'm going to a zone called Tuxtapec. My new companion is another gringo named Elder Wheeler. He's from the same generation as my current companion Elder Westhoff. I hear he should be pretty good. Tuxtapec is about a three hour bus ride away towards the west and the south a little. I'll be heading out to the bus station with some other missionaries at about 9:30 in the morning. I'm excited to have a new area and start off fresh, but I'm going to miss the people I've met here in 5 de Mayo as well as my companion Elder Westhoff. We only had six weeks together but he's definitely become a good friend and I'm going to miss him. Oh well, we all gotta move on at times and we'll keep in touch anyways.

So that's the big news. There wasn't much else that happened this week. We still didn't get any references from the ward so we ended up contacting... a lot. We contacted 180 people this week and those are only the people that listened to us or opened their doors. My companion and I have never contacted that many people. In six weeks we've spent together, I wouldn't be surprised if we've knocked on a thousand doors. Unfortunately, we haven't found anyone that's too promising. We met one guy named Hector that was golden. He accepted everything we said and you could see in his eyes that he was just getting it. However, he's leaving for Italy next week and won't be back for two months. Bummer... not to mention I wouldn't be here anyways. It's kind of sad that Elder Westhoff and I never baptized together, but at the very least, he really helped me to enjoy my mission more. More importantly, he taught me how to work. Now all I got to do is continue working for the next 18 months! I think that one thing I was supposed to learn from this transfer is how to continue working despite the results you may get. We didn't have any results in the terms of baptisms, but we certainly worked our tails off! I have absolutely no regrets about this transfer.

Any ways, I'm going to address your e-mails now.

Kayla: My resolutions this year are to continue working diligently and to be happy no matter what conditions or situations I'm placed in. I also want to read through the Book of Mormon and Preach My Gospel completely in Spanish. Other than that, I just want to continue onward in the work. :)  I love you 'sis!

Max: You're an awesome guy and I'm really proud to call you my brother. I'm really looking forward to hanging out with you after the mission! Start making a list of things you want to do! Keep up the good work bro! Love you!

Kaz: Congratulations on your good grades! That's definitely something to be proud of. I hope you're also taking the time to have a little fun now and then. Don't get too caught up in the video games! Also, take a little time to tell me more about what's going on in your life. I love you and I want to hear more from you! You are a good person and people say nice things about you. (Say in Caboose's voice) But seriously, you're pretty awesome. Enjoy your time with the family! Keep being the nice boy you are! I love you!

Mom: The weather has actually been a little nippy down here as well because we've had another Norte. I actually got a little chilly last night, because I had packed up my blanket already! (Don't worry, I'm fine) ;)  I love you Mom and think about you every day! I'm sending a big hug and a kiss with this e-mail. :) I love you with all my heart!

Dad: I was actually thinking about riding the snowmobile when I got home. Oh well! It's just funny that right when I started thinking about that, it got sold. Huh, life’s kinda funny that way. ;) That shrimp and lobster sounded really good. Some members actually served us something similar. It was like a soup with shrimp and half a crab in it. It was super messy to eat but really good. I just want to thank you for all the advice and love you send me over the e-mails. They really brighten up my days and I appreciate them more than you know. I can't wait to get home and just have a nice long conversation with you. For now, just know that I love you and that this church is true. I love you tons!

I don't have anymore time so that's all for now! Love you all!

-Elder Sean Horrocks

 Elder Horrocks, Elder Dean and Elder Watson in Mexico

Elder Horrocks new friend, Elder Shreiner

No comments:

Post a Comment