Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Elder Horrocks will be serving in the Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Monday, October 8, 2012

Yay, General Conference!


My dearest family,

Well, week 5 in Veracruz has come and gone. It's kind of sad because I don't feel like we accomplished very much. I don't want to complain at all, but things are a little tough. I still can't contribute very much and half the time I don't know what's going on because my of my Spanish. Also, my companion is a great guy and all, but sometimes I wonder if he knows what he's doing. He doesn't seem too organized. Generally, the things that we plan go right out the window during the day. During lessons my mind often ends up wandering because I only understand about half of what is being said. And that's if I'm lucky. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be here and I know that things will improve, but I figure I'd be real with you. I've been trying to be very positive (especially in my e-mails). On the other hand, the few days where I can understand the majority of what's said are amazing! We have an investigator from Luisiana that I get to talk to now and then. I like our lessons with her because she translates things I don't understand for me. When I contribute and understand what's going on, I love it here! I'm still excited to be here and to work. I just figured I'd let you know how I feel at times. Okay, enough negativity.

This week was pretty much just like every other. We teach and contact and try our best. We didn't have any baptisms this week, but I think we've got two lined up for next weekend. They're both children of members. (Not little kids, mind you. They're parents are just members). I'm still learning a ton every day and I'm trying to speak more when I can. I love seeing how the Gospel can change people's lives!

I love hearing about what's going on at home and I love the pictures on dropbox! It seems like everyone is having a good time. :) Thanks a million for the package! It was perfect! I really appreciate all the pictures and Halloween things, especially the gospel quotes. Yes, I got to watch General Conference this week, but only the priesthood session was in English for us so I didn´t understand too much. Still, it was nice to listen to the prophet`s voice even briefly. I haven´t gained any weight here, but I haven´t lost any either. We haven´t really been exercising much, but we´re going to start doing that. (Well, at least I am.) I still get letters from Grandma and Grandpa Wortham, but I don´t get any from anyone else. I haven´t written a physical letter the entire time I´ve been here. E-mails work for me, but if you want to send a personal hand-written letter, I´d love to reply. Basically, if you want to have a more personal correspondence with me, you can write me a hand-written letter and I´ll respond with one of my own.

I´m glad the family is still trying to read the Book of Mormon together. Keep it up! If it´s boring, try to think of things to liven it up. I don´t know if you´ve been having family home evening, but I strongly encourage you to do so. Our family is already pretty close and I know we talk a lot a dinner, but I know there are tons of blessings that can come from family home evening. Dad should lead these, but everyone should take turns preparing a lesson and activity. Also, I´m assuming that fast Sunday is next week for you all as well. I want you to know how important fasting really is, it´s a way for us to receive just a little extra help. When the disciples were casting out devils and doing the Lord´s work, there was one devil that they couldn´t cast out. The Savior said that that kind of devil could only be cast out through prayer and fasting. Our sins can easily be likened unto devils. We need a little extra help to overcome some of them. Think of it this way: if we can deny ourselves the basic needs of our bodies to eat and drink, how much easier it will be to deny ourselves of sins. I promise you that anything you may be struggling with now can be overcome and fasting is often the path to do so. I know it may seem difficult, but if you fast for a reason it becomes so much easier. I challenge all of you to fast this fast Sunday and every one afterwards. Also, you can always fast for a little extra help when you need it. I hope you´ll take the opportunity and receive some added blessings.

I love you all and wish you nothing but the best! Keep moving forward in the Gospel! Don´t grow complacent! The devil doesn´t draw people away all at one time. He slowly leads them away inch by inch. Don´t allow him to do so! I know that this Gospel is true. I know that God is our Heavenly Father and that he knows and loves each and every one of us perfectly. No matter what mistakes we´ve made in the past, if we truly repent and rely on Christ´s Atonement we can return to live with Him in Celestial glory. This church is true. I write these words in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Have a good week! Don´t forget to spend time together and show others you love them! I love you all!

Love,
Elder Sean Horrocks

Elder Horrocks and Elder Duran

No comments:

Post a Comment