Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Elder Horrocks will be serving in the Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Saturday, October 27, 2012

It's already been seven weeks


My dearest family,

I'm glad you all had another good week. It's good to hear that you're all doing stuff as a family. :) Hearing about the family coming together and more about Dily makes me miss you all so much. I look forward to those pictures and more news. :) 

This week was a little rough. We tried to be obedient as possible, but we had some pretty big pitfalls. We had one investigator with a baptismal date, but he changed his mind the day before and said that he wanted to think about it more. Bummer... Also, I don't know if you remember me telling you about the investigator from Luisiana, but she and her husband were having trouble with their marriage. Well, it finally hit the fan and she's leaving him. Basically, we probably won't see her anymore, but at least Luis is still interested in receiving lessons from us. On the bright side, we have an investigator named Monse who is progressing really well. She said that she knows the Book of Mormon is true and wants to be baptized. We planned for her to come to church, but when we went to get her, they were sleeping or something. So we went to church, but Elder Duran went on splits for a sec with a young man from the ward and went to get her during the second hour. Basically, she got to attend the last our of church (Relief Society) and she seemed to really like it. The only thing standing in the way of her baptism now is the fact that she's not married to the boyfriend she's living with. Also, he doesn't really want to get married, probably because he's only nineteen. I'm hoping that things will work out with them. Either they need to get married or she needs to move out. :/ I guess we'll see what happens.

As a companionship we are doing much better. We're being more obedient (though at times we're not perfect :/) and we're trying to work hard. I've been taking a little bit more of an active role in things and it's been going ok. I help with the schedule and I speak more in lessons. The only reason I still don't do a ton is because I still have trouble understanding everyone. I can only understand about every other person and then I only understand about half of what they say. Sometimes there are Mexicans that are really patient with me and speak slowly and clearly for me. Other times they basically ignore me. The way I'm thinking right now is that this is the hard time. Once I can speak the language better and get used to how things work here things will be a little better.

I want to let you all know how important this Gospel is to me. I don't know if you fasted this last fast Sunday or if you have family home evening, but I would encourage you to do these things so that you may obtain the blessings that they bring. Also, I haven't heard how the reading has been going lately. I hope it's still going strong. Write me a little bit about what you all read and what you think about it. Personally, I've made a goal to read the Bible through front to back because I've never done that before. Right now I'm in 1st Kings and it's actually really interesting. I'm coming to love the Bible almost as much as I love the BOM. I'd also recommend reading Jesus the Christ. That book helped me a lot with understanding Christ and the New Testament. But... I digress... This Church really is the same church that Jesus Christ Himself established on the earth. I know that if we endure to the end, we can return to live with our family in Heavenly Father's presence.

I love you all and hope that if you are facing any challenges in your life that you'll turn to the Lord. Remember: Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you. This church is true! I love you!

-Elder Sean Horrock'




No comments:

Post a Comment