Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Elder Horrocks will be serving in the Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Happy Birthday to Kayla and Happy Halloween!


Helloooo everybody!

First off, Happy birthday Kayla! I hope you had a good one! And I still don't know if Kayla get's my e-mails so I'd love it if someone would let me know. Please and thank you :) Also, a very happy birthday to Dily last month. (It was last month right?) Also, Happy Halloween! Let me know what everyone does for the holiday! Over here they have Halloween too, but they also celebrate the Day of the Dead for November 1st and 2nd I think. That should be interesting to experience. Thanks a lot to Mom for the little Halloween decorations! They make me smile every time I look at them. :)

So this week was much better. I was able to contribute a lot more in the lessons. I'm starting to get into the swing of how the lessons go and I just start popping in whenever I can. It's a little tough at times because E. Duran likes to talk a lot sometimes, but it's all good. I'm feeling a lot better about the mission work overall. We got two new investigators this week. Now, a new investigator means that they keep a commitment and accept the baptismal invitation. So we've got two women named Siria and Veronica. We've got their dates for the 11th of Novemeber so hopefully everything will work out for them. We've also got an investigator that is sooooo close to baptism. She's living with her boyfriend though so they either have to get married or separate. We kinda hope they separate because the boyfriends kind of a lazy bum. Also, she tends to avoid talking about here occupation so we get the feeling that she may do something... how do I put it... something that she's not proud of. I won't take a guess because I have no idea. I'm really hoping she gets baptized soon because she's been an amazing investigator and I really think she's ready to make the covenant of baptism. We'll see what happens!

In other news, we became a trio this week. Yep, I've now got two companions. The new one's name is Elder Revueltas. He's got 21 months in the mission so his experience is a welcome addition. He's got a lot of enthusiasm which is usually good, but he can come off as one of those weird Mormons at times. He speaks really good English though. I guess he was introduced to the Gospel in England or something like that. The only downside is that we're staying in our same room. That's right, we now have three (count 'em, three) missionaries in our tiny room. We've got a bunk bed and another bed and that takes up most of the space. I'll try to take a picture of how our room looks. In fact, because I'm at the two month mark, I'll try to make a video. Anyways... The reason that E. Revueltas is with us is because his companion went home. Therefore, he's just with us until either the end of the transfer (a month) or until he gets a new companion in his area. I hope he gets a new companion mostly because we have no space now, but also because I don't think we're quite as efficient with three missionaries. This is because now we're spread over his area and ours, he's our district leader (which means he spends a ton of time on the phone), and he and Elder Duran... well they don't fight, but they don't exactly see eye to eye at times. Overall, things are good though. :)

Now I'll try to answer everyone's e-mails. I actually got a lot this week so bear with me. To Max and Kaz: I'm proud of you guys with your schooling. It sounds like you're both focusing. Keep working hard and enjoy your school time while you've got it. Trust me, life after school is just a liiiitle different. But that's not always a bad thing. ;) Also, that's super awesome about Max's deer. It makes me want to go hunting with you guys. If you've got some of that jerky I'd love to get some in Mom's next package. :) One last thing, I'm sorry Max for not writing directly to you. I don't have much time to write e-mails so I try to fit everything together in one e-mail. If you want though, I can write some hand written letters and send them by pouch mail. However, I hear that that takes forever. Let me know. I love the both of you. Be nice to each other and enjoy each others company! 

Ok, mom's turn. I figured that it had snowed already in Heber. The weather changed drastically over here this week. We had our first Norte which is just the wind from the North. It brings a lot of clouds and a little rain with it. It has been heavenly because it's been tremendously cooler. It's been overcast with a nice cool breeze so it's been real nice. As for Elder Dean: I haven't seen him at all since our first week in Veracruz. I'm sorry to hear that he's been sick. Also, he didn't seem to shy when we were companions. Quiet at times, but not shy. He's a good guy and I kinda miss him more than I expected. As to my health, I actually had degue as well. It only lasted for two days, but it wasn't fun. I had terrible headaches and a lot of achy pain in my bones. I still worked though and overall it wasn't too big of a deal.

Ok, now I gotta answer Dad's stuff reeeally fast. The obedience thing was mostly just a few minor things here and there. Nothing too serious but we should've been doing them none the less. This week we were much much better and I think we were as obedient as we could have been. Elder Revueltas has been a big help for that. I already mentioned that I've contributed much more in lessons. I see missionaries from the states every time we have a zone or district meeting. Some of them are a little immature, but overall they're cool. We talk a bit when we can. You asked about our baptism and why the bishop baptized him. Well, that's because it's better for the investigators to be baptized by someone in the ward. This helps create a bond with someone in the ward rather than just to the missionaries. We don't want the people to become inactive after the missionaries leave. As for trips: we went fishing again today. That's been a lot of fun. We only catch little things, but it's fun none the less. I added some pictures of our "fishing poles" on dropbox. They're pretty fun to use actually. Also, we took a trip to a wax museum and a Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum. Both of them we're really fun and I added some pictures of them on dropbox. The Ripley's museum would've been a bit funner if I could understand all the little descriptions though. ;P No worries though. :) 

Ok,  should finish up now. I'll try to start sharing scriptures when I have time, but right now I don't. :( Just know that the scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon, have become very dear to my heart and I hope you continue to strive to read them as a family. If you need to skip forward, do it! I love you all! This church is true!

Love,
Elder Sean Horrocks

Teaching a lesson 

No comments:

Post a Comment