Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Elder Horrocks will be serving in the Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Livin' out of a suitcase


Hi everybody!

This week was loooong! We had a ton of stuff happen that normally doesn't happen. First off, we visited the temple on Wednesday! It was the best thing ever!!! We went through a session and it was in Spanish of course, but at this point I could understand it well enough to know what they were saying. (Also, it helps that I've been to a few sessions before ;) ) It was such a blessing to have the opportunity to be in the Lord's House. The only down side was that we didn't get too much time in the Celestial Room. Oh well, no problem. The Veracruz temple is pretty small and the inside is fairly similar to the Provo temple. That's about as well as I can describe it to you guys without taking a ton of my writing time. Let's just say it was amazing. :) Afterwards, we had a Christmas dinner/lunch thing and a Christmas Conference. That was awesome too! We ate BBQ chicken with potatoes, spaghetti verde (it's like spaghetti mexican style), and a lot of French bread. It was a nice change. The Christmas conference was really great. We had our mission presidency speak to us on a couple different topics. I can't remember what they were now, but don't worry I wrote notes and still have them. That all happened on Wednesday. The day after we had to return for a Mission photo. Only half the mission was at the conference on Wednesday, but the entire mission was there for the photo. It was cool because I got to see Elder Dean again and talk with him for a bit. Apparently he's doing just fine. :) Last of all, last night we had a Christmas program in the Stake. We've been inviting people to this for a month now and we had a great turn out. Lots of less active members and non-members. We spent the whole time outside greeting people, but we got to listen to the music at least. Very nice. :) It was a lot of fun. :)

That's all the crazy stuff that happened. Every other day was spent contacting, knocking doors, meeting with people, and house hunting. We probably contacted about 125 people this week and that is only the people that actually listened to us! We've been working hard, but unfortunately we haven't had a ton of success yet. I'm not worried though. If we continue working like this, we'll get baptisms for sure. As for the house... we still haven't found one.... yeah so I've been living out of my suitcase for the week with the Elders in Uribe (the district right next to mine.) Overall, it's actually been fun because the elders are cool, but we really need to find our own house. The problem is that almost every house we see is too expensive to rent! We receive up to 2,000 pesos to pay for our rent, but every house that is actually decent is usually about 500 pesos more than that! I think it's because they're houses in the city. Anyways, we've found a couple that should be perfect for 2100 pesos a month. We got permission to pay a little more for our rent and we just need to check the houses out. We're hoping and praying to have our own house by the end of the day.

Now a little about this Sunday. We didn't have any investigators in church, but that's not for lack of trying! We asked everyone we talked to visit the church on Sunday. Oh well, people have their agency. Also, we didn't get a baptism this week. Kind of a bummer, but like I said, we'll get some soon. I was asked to give a quick five minute talk on whatever subject I wanted. I chose to talk on keeping the Sabbath Day holy because a lot of members around here don't do that. I think it went pretty well. I shared some scriptures and bore my testimony. It was decent at least.

Anyways, I'll try to answer e-mails now.
Max: I love hearing from you and I'm really glad that you're enjoying yourself in your body-conditioning class. :) I was getting a little round so I've been working out a lot more in the mornings lately. That plus all the walking we do should hopefully get me in decent shape. I do 3 sets of 50 crunches in the morning and do pushups until I can't anymore. Hopefully, I'll get a bit more into shape. Keep letting me know what you're up to and get Kaz to write me more often. I expect one e-mail a week from you two! I love you bud and can't wait to hear from you!

Mom: The package I got had wrapped gifts in it as well as the soap and deodorant. The earliest one says to open on the 14th. I don't know if it's a large or medium package. I haven't received anything else yet. I didn't take a picture, but we're at a crappy internet cafe this week so I couldn't upload any pictures anyways. Sorry! I took a picture of me and my companion and everything! I'll get it to you next week. Don't worry about my funds. The mission gives us enough to buy most things that we need. I just use my home funds to buy food on P-days. Not a ton mind you, just a burger from Carls Jr. or something. Basically, I have enough but it's nice to have my back-up funds at home just in case. Like I said before, the mission pays for our apartments, but we don't have one right now. I'm trying to take more pictures! Sorry if I don't take a ton, but we've been pretty busy! I'll try to do what Dad said and take at least ten a week! I love you Mom and I love reading your e-mails! Keep me updated on what's going on! Love you!

Dad: Here's how my day-to-day activities go. [We get up and study and prepare for the day. Then we got out and do what we planned for the day. This usually entails visiting investigators, contacting, door knocking, and visiting members. It really just depends on the day. We eat lunch at 2 then continue working until 8:30. Then we head home, plan, shower, write in my journal and go to bed.] Sorry if you wanted more details. I'm trying to write as much as I can in as little time as I can so if you have more questions, be specific! :) I got my suit pants let out a while ago. They're not perfect, but they're better than they were and it was done for free so that's awesome. Also, I found a black suit coat that a missionary left behind that is just a little big but matches my other pants perfectly. I'm going to see if I can get it adjusted and use it. My new camera works fine and is actually better than the one I lost. It's a cheap Nikon but it's pretty good actually. There isn't anything in particular that I need, but I'll let you know if something comes up. For now I just want more sweets in my future packages. ;) I haven't had any opportunities to play the piano these past weeks. My ward has a decent piano player so I don't play in the meetings or anything, but if my next ward doesn't have a player I'll probably do that. It'll be a nice opportunity to brush up my skills. As far as my safety goes, my area is pretty safe. As long as we follow the mission rules there shouldn't be any problems. Don't worry, we've got the Lord on our side. :) I'm glad the Grandpa Max is doing okay. Let him know that I love him and that he better be around when I get back. ;) I love you Dad and I always look forward to hearing from you. I'm glad that you've taken the time to do service with the boys and be a blessing to someone in need. I'm proud of you Dad and I love you!

Well my hour to write is up so I just want to say that I love you all and that this church is true!
I love you with all my heart!

Love,
-Elder Sean Horrocks

No comments:

Post a Comment