Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Elder Horrocks will be serving in the Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Mission Life


Hi everyone!

Just finished my third week here in Veracruz, Mexico and it was great! I guess I'm gonna start with answering my mom's questions. First off, the language is coming slowly but surely. While I'm understanding more every week, the language is still the biggest challenge for me. The lessons when I can understand the investigators are awesome for me because I can actually contribute. Other lessons, however, I don't understand a thing and I barely contribute at all. It can be discouraging at times, but I try to always keep my head up with a good attitude. It's getting slightly colder here, but not much. I don't think I'll be needing any blankets or anything and if I do I can buy some here. We're going to Costco today so hopefully I'll be able to buy some boots there. We drink both pop and water. In our house, we mainly just drink water out of our gaffon ( 5 gallon jug), but when we eat with investigators they usually make a drink kinda like koolaid for us. We get horchata now and then which is delicious. It's a rice and cinnamon drink that I love. We've only really been given Coke by the bishop so I don't think that's something they give too often. I get too speak English now and then with Elder Soto because he's from the states. Also, there's a man that lives about a block away that's from the states. He sells Texas BBQ on the weekends and gives English lessons for a living. He has no interest in the Church, but we bought some BBQ from him on Friday and I talked with him a bit. The BBQ was heavenly! We're going to have to get more before I leave this area. I'll be here for another nine weeks with my trainer. After that I'll be switching areas every six weeks. I don't know about other areas, but my current area is pretty safe. There isn't a ton of crime or anything. The biggest danger is probably the streets. You pretty much cross whenever you can and although they're not super busy, it can be a little dangerous at times. There haven't been any festivals or parties or anything here. For the 15th there was a holiday, but it was pretty much just a day where families get together. As far as teaching goes, there's only three people that we've met with consistently. Regino and Monserrat and Mauricio. Regino's daughter is a member and we've been trying to get him baptized. I don't know why (because I don't understand what's said) he doesn't want to be baptized. Monserrat and Mauricio live together. Monserrat is a 26 year old girl and Mauricio is 19 (If I understand correctly) and a boy. I don't know if their married or anything, but they both seem genuinely interested in the Gospel. I like our lessons with them because I can actually contribute usually. I don't know when we have zone conferences. Our ward is small. There's probably 40 people in the ward and we get about 20 to 25 who attend regularly. The bishop is awesome. He's super nice and let's us use his washing machine and sink when we need to. We're living with him and his family. They're all pretty cool. I think that's all the questions my mom had.

As for my dad's questions:  We don't have any other trips planned as of now, but I'll let you know if we go anywhere. We walk everywhere within our area, but if we have to go somewhere outside our area we take cabs or buses. Let me tell you, cabs and buses here are freaking scary! They drive like maniacs! My feet are doing just fine. I just hope my shoes manage to last a long time.

I've uploaded a lot of pictures onto dropbox so you all can take a look at those. I'll try to continue to upload more, but I'm having troubles with it as of now. I'm glad to hear that everybody is staying busy. I like hearing about the going on so keep me informed. :) I've given some thought to your question about what I want for Christmas. As of now, I don't have any ideas other than food. If you do send food though, sooner would be better than later. ;)

I don't really know what else to write about. My digestive system has been "adjusting" to the food here. Let's just say my bathroom trips aren't as comfortable as they used to be. Just know that I'm doing well. I miss home and I miss you all, but it doesn't get in the way of the work. My only real struggle right now is the language, but I know that will come with time. I love this Gospel and I know that it's true. To be honest, if it wasn't true I would've come home by now. I'm trying to work my hardest. I love you all and can't wait to see you in 21 months. :) Until next week!

Love,
Elder Sean Horrocks

Elder Horrocks and Elder Duran at Veracruz Aquarium  



No comments:

Post a Comment