Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Elder Horrocks will be serving in the Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Week 8 - Mexico, Here We Come!


Hello once again family and friends!

A lot has happened this week and I hope I'll be able to get it all down in time. First off, we finally had an apostle speak to us! Elder Neil L. Anderson spoke to us on the 21st. It was Amazing. It happened to have been President Monson's birthday and Elder Anderson talked about ten or so things that President Monson would want to say to us. I don't have my notes with me, so I couldn't tell you all the things he spoke on, but the one that hit me the most was: "Never ignore a prompting." It struck me hard as a missionary because I always need to be ready and worthy to receive and act on the promptings of the Holy Spirit. This doesn't apply to just missionaries. All of us can receive personal revelation at any time so long as we are worthy to receive it. I don't know about you, but I want to always be ready to act (and teach) according to the Spirit. When Elder Anderson spoke, it was as if the Prophet himself was there. Then end was the real kicker though. He bore his testimony to us. It wasn't elaborate in any way. It was simple and straightforward, but it was so powerful! You could tell that he knew the things he was telling us. It was an amazing talk and an extremely spiritual experience.

On Wednesday we got to host the new missionaries. That was a ton of fun! It was interesting to meet all these new elders and sisters. I hosted three elders and Elder Davis and I hosted a new sister together. (Because, obviously a single elder can't host a single sister.) It brought up memories of my first day. It seems like it was forever ago! It was kinda tough to see mothers and sisters crying as they dropped off their sons and brothers. I'll be honest, I got a little homesick, but once I talked with the elders I was hosting and saw their enthusiasm, I got excited myself. We get to host again tomorrow and I'm super excited for it. :)

Thursday was interesting because all the elders going to Cuernavaca went to Vegas to sign their visas. It was just me, and Elders Dean, Watson, and Perrenoud. It was an interesting day with only four of us. For our class time with Hermano Piperato we went outside and had an awesome discussion and learned a lot about his experience in the MTC. Apparently he was a real trouble-maker! He used to skip class and do all kinds of shenanigans! One time they broke the top off of a small pine tree to put in their room (it was close to Christmas time). I never would have guessed these things of him because he's such an amazing teacher now. The way I see it, if he can improve that much on his mission, I have some hope after all. ;)

Because the teachers rotate according to the BYU semesters, Hermana Arroyo taught her last lesson with us on Saturday. It was cool because she told us her favorite mission stories and shared her testimony. I think we're all going to miss her. So yesterday we had our first lesson with Hermana Call. (Hermano Piperato didn't end up switching) She's brand new, but she's really good. Her investigator is way fun to teach too! Her name is Nellie and she's a 58 year old grandma. She's so funny! When we sat down she said something along the lines of "I love having two handsome young men to talk to." It's too bad we're only teaching her for the one week we have left. Which brings me to my next topic:

We got our visas! We got our travel plans on Friday (I think) and we got news that our visas are ready to be signed yesterday! So in about an hour we're heading to the consulate in Salt Lake to sign those! Super excited! This means we're leaving for Mexico for sure this Monday! We'll leave the MTC at 6AM and head to the airport. We'll leave for Mexico City at 9:57AM via Delta Air Lines. We'll then arrive at Mexico City at about 2:50PM to fly to Veracruz via Aeromexico. We'll arrive there about 6:40PM. 

I can't believe my MTC stay is almost over! It's been kinda tough at times, but I know that I've grown a lot because of it. I'm ready for new challenges and experiences in Mexico!

I forgot to talk about a talk by David A. Bednar called "The Character of Christ". It was an MTC devotional that I don't think you can find unless you work here. It was amazing though. It talked of how no matter how much Christ was suffering; he always turned to help those around him. He never gave in to the natural man and turned inwards. That has been my goal this week: to always turn outwards towards others. It will take some time, but I think that if I can do this, I'll be ten times the missionary I am now. As members of His church we should strive to develop our Character of Christ as well.

I know this church is true and that the Lord loves each and every one of us. Through faith, we can overcome any trial thrown our way.

Sorry I didn't have time for a long testimony, but it's important to me. I love you all and hope you're all doing fine. The next time I e-mail, I'll be in Mexico! Talk to you then!

Love,
Elder Sean Horrocks

No comments:

Post a Comment