Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Elder Horrocks will be serving in the Mexico, Veracrus mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

First Week and Still Kicking!


https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif

Hi everybody! I'm doing just fine here in the MTC and I'm learning a ton. There's about six hours of study time a day so I'm picking up the language pretty quickly. We got the chance to teach an investigator the second day we were in here. Boy was that scary! It was tough to prepare a lesson in a language that we barely knew, but it turned out alright and it was fun. We've been doing lessons with the same investigator every day since Friday and I think we've been getting better and better! Overall, the classes have been challenging, but it's all been for our benefit. Also, the devotionals and other meeting we have are all muy bueno!

I'm not even sure where to start with how to describe the boys I'm with. We are set up in a district of twelve elders. We do all our lessons and stuff together and they're an awesome bunch of guys! There's our district leader Elder Neilson (not related to the ones in Heber), his companion Elder Davis, Elder Pernound (pronounced Pernu and probably spelled wrong), and Elder Laws, Elder Andrews and Elder Dahlin, Elder Nish and Elder Healey, my roommates Elder Watson and Elder Robertson, and my companion Elder Dean and I. Oh boy, these elders are simply hilarious! Elder Davis has a talent with gas and Elder Nish is such a jokester. Nearly everything that comes out of his mouth is BS, but in a good way. :) My companion is pretty cool, we get along just fine and I think we teach pretty well together. He is from Houston, Texas. Also, everyone in my district is going to Mexico except for four elders who will be leaving in a couple weeks for the MTC in another country. (I forget which.) Overall, I'm very happy here. :)

It was so nice to get letters from the family already! Luckily, they keep us far too busy to get homesick very often, but I must admit I got a bit homesick when Kaz told me you guys were finally baking cookies. I expect to receive a few soon. ;) Also, tell Max and Kaz to start doing stuff with each other. They need to just go out and have some adventures this summer. We jumped into the language and gospel study with both feet and I definitely haven't been bored.:P I have had a chance to go to "Market" (as they call it) and I picked up a couple things. I should be able to get nearly anything else that I have forgotten and if not I'll let you know. Sadly, I've only gotten letters from the family so you should have Kayla or the boys get on my facebook and ask for letters. That would be much appreciated. Also, some hand written letters from the family would be nice too. :) I can only email on my preparation day, but I can write hand written letters whenever I have time so send me some.

I'm not very good at telling people what they want to know so if you have any questions, include them in the email from the family. If you're not part of my family you'll just have to write me a letter. ;) I'm so thankful for the opportunity to be here and learn the beautiful Spanish language not to mention learn more about the Gospel and myself. I'm thankful for all my friends and family that have supported me over the years and I wish all of you nothing but the best!

In regards to my expenses. I spent exactly $20 with my debit card in the bookstore for supplies and stuff that I forgot. We are allowed six dollars a week on our tarjetas (cards) that will compile if I don't spend it. I'll try to use that as often as possible. If you have questions regarding my address, ask my mom because she has just about everything written down. Sorry this email is a little jumbled in its order, but we only have thirty minutes to write and I'm trying to make the best of my time. I love you all and can't wait to talk to you at Christmas. One last thing is that the days feel like weeks and the weeks feel like days. Everyday seems slow but looking back it wasn't that long. I'll be back sharing stories with you all in no time!

I have a strong testimony of the Gospel and I know that this is where I'm supposed to be. I'm thankful for all the people that have had a positive influence in my life. :) I'll try to include more spiritual thoughts next time because I'm out of time!

Love you all!
Elder Horrocks

No comments:

Post a Comment